Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spring Break

Here is a picture of me concentrating really hard while rolling out pizza dough. That is all that I have. The food comes later.
Recently, Kentucky had begrudgingly welcomed spring. I say begrudgingly because it was in the thirties when I woke up this morning. It is not fun to go to bed with your windows open and a nice warm breeze wafting over your face and then wake up at four in the morning with an icy wind stabbing your face so hard that you dream that Elsa wants to kill you. That is not supposed to happen in spring. Spring is for new skirts, lemonade, flowers, and ice cream. And obviously pizza, but pizza is for always.

Right now I am stuck at home over spring break. This is the first spring break that I have spent actually looking forward for school to start. There are two reasons for that; 1) boredom, 2) our class trip to NYC leaves on Tuesday night so I will only be in school for two days after break and I am very excited. But I am trying to fight the boredom and live in the present, and also actually finally get some hours, so I have spent a lot of this break cooking. I know, I’ve shocked myself too. So much so, that after cooking for two days, I had to stop and binge watch Nikita on Netflix just to feel like myself again. Anywhoo, only a few of my friends stayed in town over this incessantly-long-and-at-the-same-time-short break. On Tuesday, Paige and Urvi came over to watch the long awaited return of the Mindy Project. (It was amazing. It was just so good.) The next day (that would be Wednesday) Paige returned, this time with Alyssa and Jessie and I made a fancy dinner where nothing turned out quite right. It was beautiful.

For the Mindy Project I decided to make the foods that I had seen most on that show; pizza and ice cream. I was also going to make cocktails but I very quickly realized that I didn’t know how to, nor did I care enough to try. That is a running theme in my life, because, so far, I have not cared enough to get my drivers license. Or exercise. I have learned that that is a horrible combination. A very, very bad one. You see, my dad teaches class on Tuesdays, and my mom is out of town over break so it was up to me to get my groceries for my meal. I woke up early, ate the chocolate croissant that my sister got for me from National Boulangerie, and then convinced her to go on a nice “lets welcome spring” bike ride to the Kroger. What I forgot was that our local Kroger is now closed because they are building an even bigger Kroger, so for the time being we have to go to another Kroger that is at least a 15 minute longer bike ride. 15 minutes too long. First, we got lost because evidently I do not know my middle school neighborhood like I thought I did. Then, while I was waiting for my sister to google maps the Kroger that we had both been to a dozen times, I started to feel dizzy. And queasy. And not so happy or springy. Let’s just say that I should exercise more. And bring water on bike rides. Or just learn to drive. I don’t remember much of shopping at Kroger because my out of shape mind has placed a haze over those few moments of my life. The chocolate croissant did not help. It was a very shameful experience. Also painful, and altogether unpleasant. After finally getting home and getting my face to return from the shade of undead pale that it had become, I made the pizza dough and started in on the ice cream. After making the ice cream I found out once again that yeast hates me, so I had to redo the pizza dough. The yeast took pity on me that time. It ended up being a great night--full of gossip (as always), ice cream, Mindy, and the new version of Footloose (that means Miles Teller).

The next night turned out to be somewhat similar except I got my dad to drive me to the Kroger so I didn’t have to relive the expiration incident. None of the food--ratatouille with chicken, creme brûlée, apple cake--turned out exactly the way they should have but it tasted fine so I was fine with it. Plus we had fun gossiping.

I would be truly confused if you read all this. But thank you if you did. Also I just realized that I don’t have any pictures of what I was just talking about. I guess I kinda suck at this. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS