Wednesday, April 30, 2014

My First Time Making Sauce

my sauce
Ok, here is the thing. This cookbook has like a thousand sauce recipes for the pasta that I just gave you the recipe for. So I chose the one that matched the ingredients in my refrigerator. It was absolutely delicious, but I’m sure that any sauce with homemade pasta would be delicious.

I would also like to say, before I tell you how to make this, that I made it wrong. And it was still delicious. So there. You can follow the cookbook directions, or what I did, or whatever you want to do. I seriously doubt that it will matter.

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 fresh sage leaves (I bought them from the Fresh Market so I’m pretty sure it counts)
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 3 plum tomatoes, peeled*, seeded, and chopped
  • 2 ⅔ cups zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces spaghetti
  • 1 mozzarella cheese, diced
  • ⅓ cup of parmesan cheese, freshly grated

*peeling tomatoes is quite a process. I have found the best (and most fun) way to do this is spear them with a fork and roast them over a gas stove flame until the skin pops off. It’s basically the same as roasting marshmallows. Or you can boil them or something.

Directions:
  1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic clove, the entire onion, the sage leaves and celery stalk and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. (Here is where I went wrong. I chopped up the garlic and onion before I fully understood that they were just flavoring. It tasted fine, but you can save yourself work and not chop them up if you so choose.)
    here is where I began to go wrong


    failure.
  2. Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes and bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat (this did not happen to mine but I think it is because I had too many chopped up ingredients in there).
  3. Add the zucchini.

  4. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes
  5. Here is where I realized that I didn’t have to chop up the onion and garlic because you are told to remove them and the celery and sage. Oops.
  6. Meanwhile cook your pasta according to the directions that you know.
  7. Drain and return to pan.
  8. Toss with sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, and serve.

*If you are not entertained by YouTube videos stop reading now.*


The reason this post is titles “My First Time Making Sauce” is because of Miranda Sings. She posted a video called “MY FIRST TIME!” and she talks about her first time eating sauce at 1:48 but I would recommend watching the whole thing because it is hilarious and also it wouldn’t make sense unless you watched it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS