Thursday, December 5, 2013

Flourless Citrus Cake



A.K.A. Louis’ Birthday Cake

I consider this foreign because it is gluten free and I like to keep that kind of cake far from my tastebuds. But not this one. Because it is good.

Ingredients:
  • 2 oranges (But I have on good authority - my aunt - that 1 meyer lemon and 1 valencia orange is also delicious (best))
  • 4 eggs
  • ¾ cup agave syrup (Again my good authority says Lyle’s Golden Syrup* is pretty great)
  • 2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Wash and boil the entire orange and lemon for 1 ½ hours or until they are soft . Even the peel. Just trust me.
  3. Put the entire orange/lemon in the food processor and blend until they are smooth.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients (eggs, syrup, almond flour, baking soda) and process until mixed.
  5. Pour into a greased 9 inch pan.
  6. Put in oven for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Eat. It is good with whipped cream and fresh berries but if you have to you can eat if for breakfast without the berries or cream.

*Just a note about Lyle’s Golden Syrup because its cool. According to the website: From working in the sugar business, Lyle noticed that the sugar cane refining process produces a treacly sort of syrup, which could be further refined. The result was a delicious preserve and sweetener for cooking. He started selling small quantities of “Goldie” from wooden casks to his employees and local customers. I wikipedia'd it and realized that I have eaten it in Germany but there it is called ZuckerrĂĽbensirup which means sugar beet syrup. Pretty cool.

Photo Credit: Lyle’s Golden Syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS