Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Asian Farmer's Market & Bulgarian Birthday Party

Coffee to start of the day. made me smile. I like it.

  The infamous SF hills and a view of the market.







The best berries ever. Ever. magical.







This was perfect because I was with my aunt, my mom's twin. wow. Coincidence? I think not.




Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of Louis' birthday dinner. But picture it in your mind as greatness.

Another huge reason I went to San Francisco when I did was to be there for Louis’s birthday. He was planning on throwing a Bulgarian birthday party. A Bulgarian birthday party is a party where you cook and all of your friends come over to celebrate you and eat your food. Pretty much every one of my birthday parties but instead of me cooking it’s usually Donatos. Anyways Kitty offered to bake his cake and she wanted to show me the Asian Farmer’s Market anyways so we went to get cake ingredients and experience some farmer’s market lyfe.


The market was beautiful. There were a whole bunch of people and foods that I have never seen before in my life and some that I never want to see again. Our best purchase was a bag of the best berries I have ever eaten. That is saying a lot because in summer I live off of berries but there were so good. I think they were magical.


The greatest moment at the farmer’s market/the most impressed I have ever been with my aunt: She wanted to buy a bunch of parsley but there was around a 20 minute line. Instead of waiting in line, or giving up and not buying it at all, she grabbed my arm and walked up to the counter and laid down her money and walked away. They were confused, I was shocked, she was proud. It was amazing.


After our trip to the market we stopped by The Fizzary where they stock literally every kind of specialty soda on earth. Including Ale-8-One which I was convinced was only sold in Kentucky. Armed with one out of the forty kinds of root beer, we met up with Louis to see an exhibit on Bulgari where I fell in love with Elizabeth Taylor. And emeralds. Being rich would be fun.


The dinner ended up being a community effort. We had farmer’s market cheese (from the goat lady) and crackers for appetizers, delicious lamb, a salad with raw chestnuts, and something that I don’t remember but I’m sure it was delicious. Then we had amazing almond citrus cake (the recipe is on its way) with whipped cream and berries. That was literally the only time I have enjoyed a gluten free cake. Quite a moment.

Overall I think Louis had a pretty good birthday. It was just us and one of their friends but the food was delicious, we had Ben Sollee playing in the background (my present to him) and then roasted chestnuts while I fell asleep on the couch. And then cake as breakfast in the morning. Best part of birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS