Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Banitsa: My Fav Recipe as a Present for You

This is one of my favorite foods ever. Of all of the places I’ve been, Bulgaria does filo dough best, and Banitsa is the best of the best. Seriously, I wrote about it in a journal that I was supposed to use for German words (2011). Here is what I said:


I’ve already tried it, so I know that it’s awesome. That is why it was my first recipe. Backstory: first time I had it was our St. Patty’s day party. It was the only thing I had due to a badly timed walk with Lusi and MPD. It was fine though because that it’s that good. That was the same day that Lusi and MPD chased Frank’s friend around the block until I’m pretty sure he cried. I don’t think he ever hung out with Frank again. Good times. Second time: Pastry bought by [Lusi’s dad], eaten in apartament in BG to Next to Normal soundtrack and Burn Notice. Third time: I made it by myself, [my host mom] ate two slices in one sitting


Anyways what I have learned from this: Banitsa; the chase-inducing, delicious, guest-mother seducing appetiser is quick and easy to make. I think I should start a food blog. You know, ‘cause I’m funny and interesting.


Isn’t this a gem? So I guess this is the fourth go…?


Ingredients:
  • ⅓ cup sunflower oil
  • 1 ½ cups plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 7 ounces of silene (Bulgarian cheese). Feta works fine too
  • 1 packet of phyllo dough (do not open until right before use)


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and baking soda until it begins to bubble.
  3. Add eggs and mix.
  4. Crumble cheese (with a fork) until you have medium size chunks. Add to the yogurt mixture.
  5. Coat the bottom of a 9” round baking pan (any size or shape works fine) with oil.
  6. Add first sheet of phyllo dough. Make it slightly ruffled, not flat. Have fun with it.
  7. Add a tsp of oil after each layer of phyllo dough.
  8. On top of first layer of phyllo dough add two side by side. (It should be one one the bottom, and two crumpled up next to each other on top of it.)
  9. Add more oil and 3 spoonfuls of the yogurt mixture.
  10. Alternate. 1 dough, oil, 2 dough, oil and mixture, 1 dough, etc.
    1. Make sure to get the edges covered with mixture too. Spread evenly
  11. Continue this pattern until you have no more mixture. Cover with a sheet of phyllo dough and add a teaspoon of oil to the top.
  12. Bake for 30 min or until golden brown on top.
  13. Slice and serve.



Hope you are having a wonderful holiday and a great break! What are you're favorite recipes, any great holiday dishes?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS