Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Daytime Crave


I took this not so great selfie after eating my pad thai in a record time of under 2 minutes.








Random creepy picture of strangers. You're welcome



My crepe. Ahhhhh. Om nom

A Mexican food booth. I wanted to eat there so bad but then we went to the goats.



He's sticking his tongue out at you.















Half the reason my mentor agreed to be my mentor is because he was planning this event (called Crave) that he thought would be right up my alley. It was this weekend. If you go on the website you can clearly see it was a weekend festival with music and food and also food tours around the city. My mission: To schmooze with the vendors. To make connections. To learn things. This is all so I will be able to post the things I have learned on this blog. It’s all for you my friends, all for you. I woke up on Saturday morning not the happiest camper. That's funny because it's an understatement. I was not excited. But I trench-coated-up and Frankensteined my grimace to a semi smile/snarl. Then Crave turned out to be wonderful. So I had to be happy. All of the food looked delicious and the crowd was impressive considering it was a dreary morning. The first thing I had was Pad Thai from Jasmine Rice because I am boring and go straight for my favorite food. My mom has some incredible butternut squash curry from Thai Orchid Cafe. After walking around and schmoozing a little, we had a dessert break. My mom had coffee from A Cup of Commonwealth and a brownie from Martine’s Pastries. A teacher friend of my mom’s bumped into us simultaneously eating Tiramisu from Shakespeare and Co and some pork and potatoes thing from an undisclosed source. I was impressed. After finding my mentor who looked sufficiently stressed and more walking around mom dared me to get something I wouldn’t normally get. I got “Nashville-style hot fried chicken in a Korean style bun w/ bread and butter bok choy” from Azur. That was interesting in a good/strange way. Then I went back to boring with a cinnamon sugar crepe from La Petite Creperie, the most European and wonderfully French place we have in town.

It was right around then that my aunt called and asked if we wanted to go on one of the Crave Farm Food Tours to a goat cheese farm, and we were like, “uh, totally”. So we hopped in the car and drove off to Athens. Pronounced Aethens. I fell asleep in the back with a Literature textbook as a pillow. It was blissful. When I woke up we were at the cutest/quaintest/most bucolic little farm ever. We went and visited the goats and then went inside where they were serving sorbet and cheese. I love both of those things so I was basically in goat farm heaven. I had mango-lime sorbet, mom had pawpaw and my aunt had caramel goat chèvre. Chèvre means goat cheese. I think. All of them were fantastic. We talked to both the cheese and sorbet lady. We also negotiated a pawpaw cheese exchange so they can make more sorbet. (I'm excited cause that cheese was good and now its all gone.) Then we got some cheese and I went home and ate it. And it was delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS