Saturday, March 1, 2014

What I thought would be dumplings became potstickers...

yum
the dough doin' its thing

I'm trying to keep up and failing miserably

all that goodness



the before and after shots

stir it all up and add enough spoons/chopsticks for each helper

me pretending to be a true blogger

mother and daughter action shot

is she judging or just watching? you can never tell

 take note. this is how this stuff works





one down, 119 to go

getting better

now i try (and do not do so well)

 carol shows me again

 like mother, like daughter


progress



artsy






 observe the cheekbones

official



and they become pot-stickers. MAGIC
beauty

I feel now that I have interviewed more than one person on cooking, that I have somewhat of an extensive base of knowledge on the subject. That means that I am now very aware that no one uses a recipe. If they are good enough they just know. Carol told me that some cooks can smell if they added too much salt. (And then I was reading Joy Luck Club a couple days after and my favorite character Lindo bragged about how she could smell if she added too much salt to her food. I mean wow.) However, while that is incredibly impressive, I find it rather difficult to write down a good recipe. But I am going to do so anyways. Fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.


DUMPLINGS (which can be made into potstickers if you just believe)


These delicious little morsels seem also to be known as jiaozi on the internets. From what I have gathered they are a tradition at Chinese New Year celebrations. Multiple places said that they were originally called “tender ears” because they were first made by a medicine man to treat frostbitten ears. Now they are eaten all year round. Those were the fun facts.


For the dough:
Ingredients
  • 4 (ish) cups of flour
  • 1 cup of water to 3 cups of flour therefore 1 ⅓ cups of water


Directions
  • Use a bread maker or other automatic mixer
  • pour all of your two ingredients in the bowl
  • turn it on
  • keep watch until it all sticks together and then let it mix for 40 minutes while you make the stuffing


For the filling:
    Ingredients
  • over 1 lb of ground pork (just a package you can buy)
  • chopped ginger (I’m gonna say a tablespoon)
  • 4 finely chopped scallions
  • 1 TB of dark soy sauce
  • 1 TB of regular soy sauce (apparently there is a difference. if you, like me, are not that sophisticated I am sure that whatever you have will do)
  • a pinch of pepper
  • a pinch of garlic powder
  • a sprinkling of chicken bullion
  • a sprinkling of Chinese spice (I think it is the same thing as this)
  • 1 TB of sugar
  • just a lil’ bit of cooking wine
  • 1 TB of salt
  • a few tablespoons of olive oil
  • some water
  • vegetables--we used celery and cabbage (about 1 lb combined)
   
    Directions
  1. For the meat put your pork in a bowl
  2. Add the chopped ginger, scallion, soy sauces, pepper and garlic powder, chicken bouillon, Chinese spice, sugar, cooking wine, salt, olive oil, and water. (This means put all of the rest of your ingredients in the bowl.)
  3. Stir with chopsticks counter clockwise and only that way
  4. Let the meat sit while you deal with the vegatables
  5. For the vegetable part of the filling chop up the cabbage and celery in the cuisinart until they are very very small little pieces (just look at the picture)
  6. When they are the correct size add some salt
  7. Then plop that stuff on a cheesecloth and squeeze out the water
  8. Add your waterless vegetables to your meat and mix it (this time it can be mixed in any direction


For the dumplings:
    Ingredients
  • premade dough
  • premade filling
  • flour
   
    Directions:
  1. Cut your dough into about 120 little tiny balls
  2. Roll these balls on a flat surface into tiny round, flat pieces of dough that are fatter towards the middle and thinner towards the edges. (This is a rather difficult task that involves a skill that is hard for me to write down because it was hard for me to do. Sorry about this. I warned you.)
  3. Fill with around a teaspoon of filling. Basically you will be very aware if you have used too much because it will be hard to close the dumpling without it all spilling out.
  4. Then pinch those suckers shut either with that area between your thumb and pointer finger or with the normal parts of your fingers that you use. I would try to tell you the fancy way to do it but I have found that it doesn't matter because they just need to be tightly shut so you can cook them and eat them.
  5. Boil in water.
  6. FOR POTSTICKERS: fry on a pan in oil


Serving suggestions: eat plain, with soy sauce, or with ketchup. Do not combine the two.


I understand that that recipe seems rather difficult to recreate. First let me say, I hope that I have relayed everything correctly. Now, here are two other sites (site one. site two.) trying to describe the same thing that I just did. They may have done it better, but I--as a person--am better and funnier.


If you do not feel up to trying to make these because it is difficult, but you still want an infusion of some culture, read Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. It is a beautiful compilation of interconnecting stories of four Chinese-born mothers and their four American-born daughters living in San Francisco. So there you go, culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS