Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pawpaw Ice Cream


This is the pawpaw tree in my back yard. I did this when it was still summer
The pawpaws look weird. Hence the face.



This is what a pawpaw looks like on the inside. Like baby food. Except it has 1,000 seeds in it that make it impossible for people to eat. I'm not a patient person.


The pawpaw man. He's excited about them.







Step 3. seriously. It's heavy.
Look at my cool whisk.

I cook in pearls. Deal with it.
Custard. Pawpaw puree. Leftover pawpaw goop.

Oh my god, I'm bout to use the machine. Ah. (Those were my thoughts)

Add the vanilla because you forgot to do it before.
Art.


My ice cream maker looks like a star.
Ingredients:
·      1 qt. cold milk
·      6 eggs
·      ½ tsp. salt
·      1 ½ c. sugar
·      1 c. pureed paw paw pulp (or more to taste)
·      juice of 1 lemon
·      1 qt. heavy cream
·      2 Tbsp. vanilla

Recipe:
1.     Scald 3 cups of the milk in the top of a double boiler. (Which I learned is a bowl on top of a pot of water, in case you didn’t know either.)
2.     In a bowl beat eggs well; add salt, sugar, and the remaining cup of milk.
3.     Slowly stir egg mixture in to the hot milk (which will take a lot of strength so prepare your muscles) and cook over a small amount of simmering water.
4.     Stir continuously until the mixture coats the spoon. DO NOT LET IT CURDLE. I’m not 100% sure of what that means but don’t let it happen. I think this means that you let it thicken but not clump up. It worked out well enough for me.
5.     Cool custard by putting the bowl in another bowl of cold water then chill it in the fridge.
6.     Combine pawpaw puree with the lemon juice and add to the chilled custard along with the cream and vanilla. (After I added the vanilla it pretty much tasted like vanilla ice cream so if you want the pawpaw taste to be stronger add less vanilla.)
7.     Pour into ice cream maker Follow instructions.
8.     Put in the freezer (I would recommend transferring the ice cream to a different container first instead of asking your dad to do it and end up opening the freezer and having the entire machine frozen in between the peas and popsicles.)
9.     Serve. It will be delicious. 



Quote of the Day: "You have to be somewhat indelicate to eat pawpaws anyways." - The Lexington Pawpaw Man

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS